Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Recruiting News

Since my last post a few things have happened regarding recruiting, so I thought I'd pass those things along to you.

I am no longer trying to recruit the young man from Venezuela. He has other interests than RLC, so I have withdrawn my scholarship offer to him. I have decided to spend my time and energy on another international that has a great desire to play at RLC.

His name is Antony Kabui from Nairobi, Kenya. Some of you know that I tried to get Oscar Walunde and Antony to come to RLC last fall. However we had limited time last year and they could not get an appointment with the U.S. Embassy in time to get here last fall. We have plenty of time this year, so I'm confident that we will get Oscar and Antony. I have been in touch with Robert Mbatia (our contact in Kenya) several times this past week, and he assures me that the paper work for Oscar and Antony will be faxed to RLC this week. When we receive the paper work we can then forward the student visa requests. Once Robert, Oscar and Antony receive the paper work they will set up an appointment with the U.S. Embassy to see if they can get approval to come to the States on a student visa. That will be the hard part. So, if you're a praying person I request that you join me in praying that the boys will get approval from the Embassy. Hopefully the boys will be able to get here by June so they can get acclimated with the area, and put in some time with the team.

I'm very excited about the way the '09 team is shaping up. I have three - five more spots to fill on the roster and we will be set. I've tried to focus on recruiting talented midfielders, and I think I've been successful. We should be able to build an attack from the back, possess the ball in the middle and send it forward on a consistent basis this fall.

I am still waiting on an answer from two young men that I have offered scholarships. Once they give me a yes or a no, I will then be able to fill the other three - five spots. When I get those spots filled I'll post the news.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Coach,
    I'm Luke Sherwin from Australia and am very interested in discuss Scholarship opportunites. I tried to email you but my email was undeliverable.
    I currently play for the Australian Rep team going to World Interuniversity Games in Spain.
    It would be great if we could get in touch and discuss this further my email is: luke.sherwin@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete