Tuesday, September 7, 2010

RLC vs Richard Daley College

I got a call back in the spring from Coach Gonzalez at Richard Daley College in Chicago. He was looking for a match and was wondering if RLC would be willing to host a match. I agreed without knowing anything about RDC and didn't know what to expect from them. After our phone conversation I got online and did a little research and found out that they were a new program like RLC. Since they were a new program I figured that this would be a pretty equal match for us.

When RDC came to RL today, I felt like we had a good chance of coming out on top with a win. We needed a win since we had just dropped two games in a row to SWIC and Lincoln Land. I wanted a win as well, but I didn't want one like the one we got today.

We played RDC scoreless in the first half. I was disappointed, Coach V was disappointed and the boys were disappointed that we played for 45 minutes without converting on A LOT of goal scoring opportunitites. When we came out in the second half, I was sure that we would get a quick goal, but it wasn't until the 23rd minute of the second half that we found the net. Neil Houlihan scored an unassisted goal to put us ahead 1-0. That's the way it stayed until the 94th minute. RDC scored with 30 seconds left on a corner to send the match into overtime.

In the first ten minute golden goal overtime we blew two good chances to score, but in the second one Neil Houlihan messed up their sheets on a nice assist from Rocky, and sealed the victory for us.

I had a headache after the game. I guess I was a little tense after the half due to our lack of scoring. It was a win, not the kind that I wanted, but it was a win. That improves our record to 2-2. We'll have to play better soccer than this on Thursday if we hope to get a victory at Danville.

No comments:

Post a Comment